Today was a day of obstacles:
- It started when I got a little lost driving to the ride -- 14-mile detour!
- Flooding re-routed 30 miles of the ride, causing a lot of overlap on the route.
- Trains kept getting in the way of crossings at inconvenient times -- spent at least 30 minutes waiting on trains!
- I got a flat tire. SAG was nice enough to change it for me. :)
- A driver in a giant pickup truck buzzed me at about 60 mph.
- The wind was a factor as it picked up throughout the morning.
- One of the water stops wasn't ready in time for many riders to use it.
- I wiped out on the road around 45 miles or so. Fortunately there were no cars around when I did it. I have a beautiful strawberry with a big bruise and bump underneath it on top of my elbow. Also have a bruised left hand and a road rash on the front of my left calf. The crash took out my cycling computer. I think it can be fixed -- just don't know how yet.
On the bright side, the injuries from the crash are not serious. And, since I had made up my mind to finish the ride at 65 miles, I was able to push myself in the last 10 or so miles and see how fast I could go. Unfortunately, since the computer was on the blink, I don't know how fast I got to, but with the tailwind I had at that point, I am pretty sure I was in the 23 - 25 mph range. That was fun. It was really fun when I passed the much fitter person on a time trial bike -- sweet! :)
There's another century coming up in a couple of weekends. I'll give it another try then. :)