Thursday, April 17, 2008

Do the Dew

I decided to take the cycle-commuting plunge and recently picked up a 2007 Kona Dew. I added a rear rack, panniers, bike computer, bell, and tail light to it. I moved the computer from my road bike to the Dew and indulged myself in a new cadence computer for the road bike. I need to add a headlight on the Dew, but think I can cannibalize one from another bike instead of buying a new one.

The Dew is surprisingly peppy to ride and can take going up and down curbs with ease.

It's a simply elegant bike without a bunch of unnecessary bells and whistles. I like the trigger shift system, which is what I was accustomed to on my mountain bike prior to getting the road bike last year. I even like the periwinkle color!

My new workplace is just 6.6 miles from home. One of the reasons I chose this employer over a couple of others was their proximity to home, their on-site fitness center, and their accommodations for cycle-commuters. I knew that they had secured parking for bikes -- I was envisioning an outdoor area with perhaps a nearby parking attendant. I had no idea how nice of a facility it would be! I took the tour of it this week and it turns out the secured parking is indoors, on the 4th floor of one of the buildings, accessible only to those who have registered themselves for a spot. Wow!!!! The registration also includes a locker where I can stow my stuff! The fitness center is only two floors up, so since I have a membership there, I can use it to grab a shower.

I am really excited about commuting by bike -- great way to get some exercise and help the environment! I am also excited about not having to buy as much gas -- it's about $2.50 a day just to get back and forth to work. My husband is even getting into the act -- he was so impressed with the Dew's ride that he decided to buy one for himself and he is planning on cycle-commuting a couple of days a week also.

No comments: